I've been reheating leftover pizza for years, but I have been doing it all wrong. A microwave is the quickest and easiest method, but it makes the cheese hot enough to burn through plastic, and leaves the crust all rubbery and leathery. You could always reheat your pizza in a conventional oven, too, but it dries your pizza out, turning the crust into a concrete-like slab and shriveling your toppings up like so many shrinky-dinks. More often than not, I am content just to eat the pizza cold and call it good enough.
But no more. Today, I found the superior method for reheating pizza that leaves the toppings moist, the cheese gooey, and the crust crisp. Forget the microwave, forget the oven...just get out your non-stick skillet and rub it with a little bit of olive oil. Over medium heat, fry your slices of pizza with the cheese-side down for a few minutes, until the cheese is hot and bubbly (and maybe a little bit toasted...to each their own). Then flip it with a spatula and let the crust-side toast itself like a grilled cheese sandwich until the whole slice is piping hot. If you wish to add more cheese or toppings, now is the time.
Presto. Reheated pizza that is still edible. Bonus points for using a flavored oil (like garlic-basil, or red pepper oil). Sure, it takes a little bit more time than the microwave...but the finished product is a lot more enjoyable.
No comments:
Post a Comment